Hartwell First United Methodist Church needs your help, your letters, and your PRAYERS ……
The Hartwell Railroad (Great Walton Railroad) has filed with the Georgia Public Service Commission (PSC) to condemn a strip of Hartwell First UMC property adjacent to the main line. They claim to need the land for a runaround track to serve one customer on the western outskirts of town who has been successfully served for 10 years without using a runaround.
Under Georgia law, railroads have the power to condemn land needed for their operations but the condemnation must be approved by the PSC. The Church has requested that the PSC not approve this unnecessary, unsafe and unwise taking of Church property.
The PSC hearing is in Atlanta on January 23, 2018. The church is opposing the condemnation. We are asking any citizen, Hartwell, Hart County resident or state of Georgia, desiring to support the Church and oppose the condemnation to write a letter to the PSC and then send to the church so that we can bound these letters to present to the board.
The address and necessary information is below. Please share this with family and friends interested in supporting our church.
Thank you in advance for your prayers and support for Hartwell First in this extremely important endeavor.
We need all letters by January 14, 2018, either brought to the church office or mailed to the church so they can be bound and presented together. (Mailing address: HFUMC Letter, 200 East Howell Street, Hartwell, GA 30643)
ALL OF THE BOLDED INFORMATION MUST BE INCLUDED IN YOUR LETTER.
GEORGIA PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
244 WASHINGTON STREET, SW
ATLANTA, GA 30334
RE: THE GREAT WALTON RAILROAD COMPANY, INC.,
D/B/A THE HARTWELL RAILROAD COMPANY – IN
RE: PETITION FOR APPROVAL TO ACQUIRE REAL
ESTATE BY CONDEMNATION – DOCKET NO. 41607
Dear Public Service Commission:
Write your personal comments here.
(Print Name and Address)
Include one of the following to begin your letter:
- I wish to express my opposition to the filing made by Hartwell Railroad to the Public Service Commission to condemn an area within the property owned by Hartwell First United Methodist Church, which is a part of our campus.
- I am asking for your support for Hartwell First UMC intervention against the railroad condemning our property.
You may wish to use one or more reasons for opposition:
- · Creates an unsafe situation for our church and visitors.
- · Hartwell Railroad has other alternatives to satisfy its need for a proposed “run around” track.
- · Proud of our church campus and the construction & even existence of a new railroad line behind the church property would be an eyesore and create a huge inconvenience for all of our congregation.
- · Due to being in downtown, we are locked in with our parking. There is very limited space to park on the church building side of the railroad tracks. As we know it is very difficult for handicapped persons and the large number of elderly people to cross the tracks to get into our building for worship.
- · Our church campus is used extensively by the community for different activities and events, the tracks would present a safety issue.
- · Our Pre School children walk daily to the gym for activities. A train would create a hazardous condition for our Pre-School children.
Include one of the following to close your letter:
- +Please refuse to allow the railroad to condemn church property.
- +Please refuse to grant the railroad the condemnation of church property.
- +Please do the right thing and deny the request by Hartwell Railroad for authorization to condemn our church property.